History

Body: 

History of Trinity

Trinity’s Heritage
Trinity Memorial Church, built as a memorial to soldiers who died in World War I, is classified as a Class B Heritage building. Its construction began in 1922, the corner stone was laid in 1923, and the building dedicated in 1926. Trinity celebrated the 85th anniversary of its NDG location in 2008.

Trinity Memorial can trace its ancestry to 1840, when the original church was founded in Old Montreal on St. Paul Street opposite Bonsecours Market. Subsequent locations were Gosford St. (1860), and Viger and St. Denis Street (1864). The year 2011 therefore marks 171 years of witness and service in Montreal for Trinity.

The Church Building
The church has an imposing grey limestone exterior structure, with walls rising over 40 feet from the ground. The building is a unique Quebec example of an Anglican church built in the English Victorian tradition of the Tudor Gothic revival. Its rectangular plan, without any transepts, presents an open nave that affords unobstructed views from any part of the building’s interior. Trinity has a seating capacity of 1000, and its acoustical qualities have made the building a natural venue for choral music.

The church contains a gallery in the back, beautiful stained glass windows, and an original Casavant organ which was installed in 1931. The organ was a gift of John H. Molson in memory of the parents of the Rector of the church, the Rev’d Canon John M. Almond. Branching out from the narthex is the administrative/church office, Rector’s office, and choir room. The Almond Room (named after Archdeacon John Macpherson Almond who served as Rector, 1904-1939), large hall, kitchen, and public washrooms are at the lower level. Trinity Memorial does not possess a rectory.

Lawns encircle the church building at the front and sides. Designated parking can be accessed from the Marlowe Street side of the Church, but is minimal.

Clergy of Trinity - from the beginning to the present

- Rev’d Mark Willoughby, 1840-1847
- Rev’d Alexander d. Campbell, 1848-1858
- Rev”d Canon Charles Bancroff, 1859-1876
- Rev’d W. Craig, 1877-1879
- Rev’d John Watters, 1880-1882
- Rev’d Canon William Lenox Mills, 1882-1896
- Rev’d Frederick H. Graham, 1896-1901
- Rev’d C.G. Rollit, 1902-1904
- Archdeacon John Macpherson Almond, 1904-1939
- Archdeacon Kenneth R. Naylor, 1939-1964
- Rev’d Canon Gordon R. Addie, 1964-1971
- Rev’d Brian H. Campion, 1972-1984
- Rev’d Randolph Bruce, 1984-1985
- Rev’d Trevor G. Jones, 1985-1991
- Rev’d Canon Anthony Jemmott, Incumbent, 1991- 2001
- Rev’d John Bradley & the Rev’d Richard Cawley, Interim, 2001 - 2003
- Rev’d Stephen Petrie, Incumbent, 2003 – 2007
- Rev’d Dr. David Sinclair, Interim, 2007 – 2009
- Rev’d Paul Tidman, Interim, 2009-2010
- Rev'd Canon Joyce Sanchez, 2010-present

Deacons

- Rev'd Delmarnet Skinner, Deacon, 2004-2012
- Rev'd Jessica Bickford, Deacon, 2014-present

Former buildings
Trinity Church, St. Paul St., 1840
The original Trinity Church was founded in Old Montreal on St. Paul Street opposite Bonsecours Market.

Second Trinty Church, Gosford St., 1860)

Third Trinity Church at St. Denis St & Viger Ave, 1865
The former Trinity Anglican Church at the corner of St. Denis St. and Viger Ave. was slated to be demolished to make room for the Centre hospitalier de l"Universite de Montreal (CHUM). The church, rechristened Eglise St. Sauveur after the First World War was slated to be torn down in November 2010. The Trinity congregation moved west to a new facility at Sherbrooke and Marlowe in 1926. The church on St. Denis became a Catholic church. It is believed that all the stained glass from the church will be given to religious orders in the neighbourhood there. (reference: "Landmark faces wrecking ball" by Kristian Gravenor, Nov 23, 2010, The Montreal Gazette.)